synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Hubert, Eric" <Eric.Hub...@foxmobile.com>
Subject RE: startup order - correct place to start transport listeners
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 05:43:33 GMT
Hi all,

unfortunately at the moment I'm still not able to help much with this discussion as I did
not spend enough time to understand the coupling of Axis2 and Synapse in detail.

Generally what Indika writes about the decoupling of transports and mediation engine makes
definitely sense from my high level view.

The only point where I disagree is the startup of listeners. It seems impossible to me "to
compensate" broken requests.
In any system listeners should generally be the last to start and first to stop to avoid operating
in an inconsistent state mostly combined with data loss and SLA violations.

Besides a note from Ruwan that task initialisation depends on listeners being started before,
I see no real reason to start the listeners that early. I first trial to move them to a later
point showed no problems for me (also I did not test tasks).

I definitely find it important to clarify the whole startup/shutdown logic including the Axis2
module aspect, where I can't provide any useful feedback, before releasing 1.3.

Regards,
   Eric