synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Ruwan Linton <ruwan.lin...@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Hot deployment/update of the synapse artifacts
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2009 06:24:49 GMT
Folks,

Now that the synapse configurations can be differentiated into different
files, it is possible to provide a hot deployment/update of the synapse
artifacts like sequences, endpoints, proxy services, etc...

This is an interesting feature that should be used with care, but is very
helpful at the development time because you can test your sequences,
endpoints without restarting the synapse server. Of course there has to be a
switch to turn this behaviour off on the production environments. So if I
describe the behaviour, when the hot deployment is turned on users can
dynamically install sequences, endpoints and so on... on the running server
by droping those configurations into the relevant folders inside the
synapse-config directory. In the same manner by changing an existing file
users can change the runtime configuration of the sequences and all the
synapse artifacts.

I remember some time back we did (I think it was andreas) proxy services
deployment as per a user requirement and it should be good to extend that to
other artifacts as well.

Finally, I am proposing this because of the fact that WSO2 ESB has a
requirement to support hot deployment/update of the synapse artifacts, to
implement a concept called Applications (this is a set of axis2, synapse and
ode artifacts bundled together into a deployable artifact). I copuld
impltment this ontop of Syanspe only for WSO2 ESB but I think this will be a
nice addition to Synapse.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ruwan