synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Type Support for the Property Mediator
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 07:42:21 GMT
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <supun06@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Supun,
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Supun Kamburugamuva <supun06@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I didn't want to say we need to apply that patch now. That patch
>>> should have being applied a long time ago :).
>>>

>> That may be true. But there's a way to get things done from an open source
>> community. I'm mentioning this here since you have been pointing a lot of
>> fingers at the team lately.
>>
>> While we totally appreciate contributions from the community, please note
>> that it is not a committer's duty or job to review submitted patches as soon
>> as possible. We all try hard and save a few cycles to spend on Synapse work.
>> It is only natural to get certain patches delayed for long periods. I know
>> this by experience with a couple of other ASF projects as well. Sometimes we
>> lose track of patches and JIRAs and the committers forget all about it after
>> a few weeks. These issues usually resurface when we are about to do a
>> release but as you know, there hasn't been any Synapse releases for a
>> considerable period of time either. So there's obviously a ton of issues and
>> patches  accumulated over time which we will definitely review and commit
>> before the 1.3 release. Meanwhile if someone is really eager to get a patch
>> checked into the code base he can get the attention of the committers by
>> bringing the discussion into the mailing list (that's what I did in this
>> case). You can point out some valid usecases and emphasize the importance of
>> fixing the issue in question. If that doesn't work just keep on writing to
>> the list until somebody notices....
>>
>> Thanks again for pointing out SYNAPSE-458. Please don't be dissapointed or
>> discouraged just because some patches got delayed. They will be reviewed in
>> time.
>>

> Hi Hiranya,
>
> First I dind't want to point fingers to anybody. If you look it from a team
> perspective you should have realized that even if I point a finger it is for
> the best of the community and the project.
>
> I know how Apache works. It is not the responsibility of committers to
> apply patches as soon as possible. I have being a Apache committer for 3
> years now.
>
> You are looking from a commitor perspective. Please try to look at from a
> users perspective as well. If a user submitting lot of patches but no input
> what should that user think? Do you think he will continue to send patches?
> Any Apache project should try to attract people who are willing to
> contribute as much as possible. It is good to have people with different
> view points in a project. That is how Apache became successful. If a project
> ignores users I think that is fundamentally against the Apache model of
> development. Also it shows the existing status of the project to the outside
> world.

I agree to most of your points. But you have taken my point in the wrong
way. We never ignore our users on purpose. As I said before we try our best
to respond to users as soon as possible. If you take a look at out user
mailing list you will notice that almost all the queries have been answered
within the matter of hours. But reviewing patches and making changes to the
code cannot be done in adhoc manner. It's a delicate process which requires
some thinking, patience and lots of free time. Sometimes patches get delayed
because we don't have sufficient time to invest on that. We don't do it on
purpose. Still if something critical shows up (something like a security
issue or an interop issue) we pay immediate attention to that.

So any user who's on an open source mailing list should understand that. If
he needs something to be fixed immediately he should say so and try to get
the attention of the team by starting and maintaining a healthy discussion
that lasts long enough.

Thanks,
Hiranya

--