synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Type Support for the Property Mediator
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:05:11 GMT
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <supun06@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <supun06@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Hi Hiranya,
>>>
>>> First I dind't want to point fingers to anybody. If you look it from a
>>> team perspective you should have realized that even if I point a finger it
>>> is for the best of the community and the project.
>>>
>>> I know how Apache works. It is not the responsibility of committers to
>>> apply patches as soon as possible. I have being a Apache committer for 3
>>> years now.
>>>
>>> You are looking from a commitor perspective. Please try to look at from a
>>> users perspective as well. If a user submitting lot of patches but no input
>>> what should that user think? Do you think he will continue to send patches?
>>> Any Apache project should try to attract people who are willing to
>>> contribute as much as possible. It is good to have people with different
>>> view points in a project. That is how Apache became successful. If a project
>>> ignores users I think that is fundamentally against the Apache model of
>>> development. Also it shows the existing status of the project to the outside
>>> world.
>>>

>> I agree to most of your points. But you have taken my point in the wrong
>> way. We never ignore our users on purpose. As I said before we try our best
>> to respond to users as soon as possible. If you take a look at out user
>> mailing list you will notice that almost all the queries have been answered
>> within the matter of hours. But reviewing patches and making changes to the
>> code cannot be done in adhoc manner. It's a delicate process which requires
>> some thinking, patience and lots of free time. Sometimes patches get delayed
>> because we don't have sufficient time to invest on that. We don't do it on
>> purpose. Still if something critical shows up (something like a security
>> issue or an interop issue) we pay immediate attention to that.
>>
>> So any user who's on an open source mailing list should understand that.
>> If he needs something to be fixed immediately he should say so and try to
>> get the attention of the team by starting and maintaining a healthy
>> discussion that lasts long enough.
>>
>> Hi Hiranya,
>
> Going after developers for applying a patch is not a good practice in any
> open source project.

Why not? More you interact with the team more you become familiar with the
community. It shows how willing you are to contribute to the project. IMO
that makes you the perfect candidate for committership.

> Patches are submitted free of charge as a courtesy to the project. At least
> that is how an open source community should think about patches.

Of course :)

A community should think of people who are submitting patches as assets to
> the community and future committors. A community should always encourage who
> ever apply patches.

And that we always try to do. But it can take time so need to have patience.
There are no guarantees offered by the team - just the best effort service!!

Thanks,
Hiranya

> In a Apache like community committors come and go. When you go away your
> place will be taken by someone else.
>

> Thanks,
> Supun..
>

>> Thanks,