synapse-dev mailing list archives

From indika kumara <indika.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Constant/reproducable order of elements in synapse.xml
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:02:04 GMT
Hi Eric

My + 1 for using sorted collection implementations, if it enables to
serialize synapse XML in a consistent order.

I also prefer to encapsulate all extensible points throughout the code
base using a single consistent way ... may be factory mechanism.

Thanks
Indika

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Hubert, Eric <Eric.Hubert@foxmobile.com> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> Currently the implementation of the Synapse configuration model uses unordered collections
to store the different configuration items (like proxy services etc.).

> Thus serialization creates fixed order of main elements, but changing order of items
within main elements. Diffing of XML-files created based on built-in serialization to track
changes on this level is almost impossible.

> Would somebody object to using sorted collection implementations instead?
>
> Background: We are currently using a custom mechanism to create a synapse XML Configuration
file. This mechanism actually guarantees a consistent order of the whole configuration file.
Changes to the model can also be verified on the persisted model (synapse.xml). This turned
out to be very handy.

> For a couple of reasons I was now investigating whether it would make sense to rather
just write a custom builder to create a synapse configuration from our specific configuration
store and than use Synapse built-in support for serialization to XML:

> XMLConfigurationSerializer.serializeConfiguration(synapseConfiguration,
>   new FileOutputStream(synapseConfigFileName));
>
> This way I should be able to get rid of a bunch of code while increasing flexibility.
To make this work at least the issue reported yesterday as well as the ordering problem would
need to be resolved.

> Later on if there would be a way to configure/set the configuration builder to use (e.g.
via a factory mechanism), one could have the possibility to run directly based on the external
(versioned) config store without using the intermediate step of synapse.xml.