synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Supun Kamburugamuva <supu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Type Support for the Property Mediator
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 07:56:09 GMT
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>> a few weeks. These issues usually resurface when we are about to do a
>>> release but as you know, there hasn't been any Synapse releases for a
>>> considerable period of time either. So there's obviously a ton of issues and
>>> patches  accumulated over time which we will definitely review and commit
>>> before the 1.3 release. Meanwhile if someone is really eager to get a patch
>>> checked into the code base he can get the attention of the committers by
>>> bringing the discussion into the mailing list (that's what I did in this
>>> case). You can point out some valid usecases and emphasize the importance of
>>> fixing the issue in question. If that doesn't work just keep on writing to
>>> the list until somebody notices....
>>>
>>> Thanks again for pointing out SYNAPSE-458. Please don't be dissapointed
>>> or discouraged just because some patches got delayed. They will be reviewed
>>> in time.
>>>

>> Hi Hiranya,
>>
>> First I dind't want to point fingers to anybody. If you look it from a
>> team perspective you should have realized that even if I point a finger it
>> is for the best of the community and the project.
>>
>> I know how Apache works. It is not the responsibility of committers to
>> apply patches as soon as possible. I have being a Apache committer for 3
>> years now.
>>
>> You are looking from a commitor perspective. Please try to look at from a
>> users perspective as well. If a user submitting lot of patches but no input
>> what should that user think? Do you think he will continue to send patches?
>> Any Apache project should try to attract people who are willing to
>> contribute as much as possible. It is good to have people with different
>> view points in a project. That is how Apache became successful. If a project
>> ignores users I think that is fundamentally against the Apache model of
>> development. Also it shows the existing status of the project to the outside
>> world.
>>

> I agree to most of your points. But you have taken my point in the wrong
> way. We never ignore our users on purpose. As I said before we try our best
> to respond to users as soon as possible. If you take a look at out user
> mailing list you will notice that almost all the queries have been answered
> within the matter of hours. But reviewing patches and making changes to the
> code cannot be done in adhoc manner. It's a delicate process which requires
> some thinking, patience and lots of free time. Sometimes patches get delayed
> because we don't have sufficient time to invest on that. We don't do it on
> purpose. Still if something critical shows up (something like a security
> issue or an interop issue) we pay immediate attention to that.
>
> So any user who's on an open source mailing list should understand that. If
> he needs something to be fixed immediately he should say so and try to get
> the attention of the team by starting and maintaining a healthy discussion

Going after developers for applying a patch is not a good practice in any
open source project. Patches are submitted free of charge as a courtesy to
the project. At least that is how an open source community should think
about patches. A community should think of people who are submitting patches
as assets to the community and future committors. A community should always
encourage who ever apply patches. In a Apache like community committors come
and go. When you go away your place will be taken by someone else.

Thanks,
Supun..

> Thanks,
> Hiranya