synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Supun Kamburugamuva <supu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Generating Names for Anon. Endpoints
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 06:06:04 GMT
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <supun06@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Here I'm not suggesting to remove the support for anonymous endpoints. My
>>> suggestion was to force a name to every endpoint regardless of weather they
>>> are defined in-line or separately.
>>>

>> Supun, this is exactly what I think we shouldn't be doing. If we are
>> forcing the user to define names for each and every endpoint, then we are
>> actually getting rid of the support for anonymous endpoints.
>>

> +1
>
> We should try our best to keep the simple case as simple. Anonymous
> endpoints are very usable from the users point of view, and at least 70-80%
> of the users are not enabling clustering, if we are to enforce a name for
> every endpoint regardless whether it is inlined or not, we are making the
> simple case hard from the user point of view.
>
> My belief is doing the correct thing is important than the usability at
least when the usability degradation is minimal. I think that is the exact
reason why we are trying to make the synapse language schema compliant now.

Also forcing a name for an inline endpoint is not that user un-friendly. To
define an endpoint user has to do many things. So I think just including the
name attribute is not a big user un-friendly thing compared to all the
things user has to do already.

My concerns about name generation are not only with clustering. Lets say
an anonymous endpoint got suspended or received a time-out error. How can
the user know which endpoint got suspended or received the error?

Also lets say user wants to do JMX monitoring. How can he distinguish the
different endpoints?

I think synapse language should always force the production best practices
and I think having a meaningful name to an endpoint is a production best
practice that every deployment should do.

Thanks,
Supun..

> Thanks,
> Ruwan
>

>> Thanks,
>> Hiranya
>>

>>> Even now user can do this. But system doesn't enforce this, and we have
>>> to generate a name. So my suggestion was to make the name attribute of
>>> the endpoint mandatory.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Supun..

We can do