synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Synapse configuration namespace
Date Sun, 21 Nov 2010 01:13:20 GMT
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, in general using namespaces to version XML schemas is generally
>> considered bad practice.
>>

> I don't think we are doing a versioning of the synapse configuration schema
> with the namespace, anyway most of

Then what are you achieving with the namespace name change?

> the other schemas, like (WSDL, XSLT) have different namespaces for
> different versions. :-(

Not correct .. WSDL 1.1 to 2.0 does do but in that case the languages and
semantics are majorly different. The 2.0 language was also delivered by a
whole different group instead of a small private club.

XSLT was intentionally, carefully designed for "forwards compatibility" and
has a "version" attribute:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#forwards

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#forwards>This was a James Clark masterpiece.

Now see XSLT 2.0's section on backwards compatibility:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#backwards
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#backwards>

> Also there is more than the domain name or being a new TLP out from WS for
> this namespace change, which is, that Synapse is more than web services and
> it can handle many things apart from web services, as you know web services
> is just one connector among many other connectors for mediation, and that is
> why I do not want to limit the namespace to the ws.apache.org.

Yes Synapse is much more than Web services. However, IMO, most users don't
bother to give any quality time to looking at the namespace and making
judgments based on that.

I'm done pushing my position on this topic :).

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/