synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Synapse configuration namespace
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 01:11:38 GMT
Hi Paul,

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see the point in changing the namespace unless there is an
> incompatibility at the core. We wrote the model to be very flexible.
>
> Having a migration XSLT is great, but it seems to me a "fix" for
> something that is tricky. Also, we spent a lot of effort on backwards
> compatibility: for example, I would have loved to have added new
> methods to the messagecontext, but put them into helper classes to
> avoid breaking existing mediators.
>
> At some point I think we will need to change the config radically, and
> that is the time to make a breaking change.
>
> I propose we make the code read the old config as well as the new (as
> much as possible) and print a deprecation statement. We should be able
> to always write the new config, so that users serializing their config
> will move to the new one.

I don't think we can support both namespaces at once without making a
huge amount of changes/additions to the code. Axiom doesn't give too
many options in this space. We have all the namespaces, local names
and QNames defined as global constants in the code.

So how about this? By default we expect configurations to have the new
namespace. But if somebody wants to load a configuration with the old
namespace, he has to first set a special property in
synapse.properties or as a system property.

eg: -DuseOldNamespace=true

We can easily support this model but even that is not perfect:
1. It is global - Once set it will affect each and every artifact
loaded into Synapse
2. It will affect the serialization - If the property is set,
configuration will be serialized with the old namespace

Thanks,
Hiranya

> Paul
>
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sanjiva,
>> We have a complete migration XSLT (it is not just the namespace, we have a
>> few configuration language changes as well), what we could do is that, if we
>> find the namespace to be the 1.x while tying to build the configuration
>> model, we could first run the script and update the synapse configuration
>> after backing up the existing one and continue loading synapse.
>> WDYT?
>> Thanks,
>> Ruwan
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I realize this is a bit of a late response :(.
>>> This change will break all existing users. How about at least supporting
>>> both namespaces?
>>> (Maybe this is too late now for the release ... in which case there's no
>>> point doing it later.)
>>> Sanjiva.

>>> --
>>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>>> Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;
>>> http://www.opensource.lk/
>>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2; http://wso2.com/
>>> Founder & Director; Thinkcube Systems; http://www.thinkcube.com/
>>> Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org/