synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Hubert, Eric" <Eric.Hub...@foxmobile.com>
Subject RE: Synapse configuration namespace
Date Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:52:06 GMT
Well, I think I have to agree with Sanjiva’s statement about the meaning of namespaces for
an end user. I also do not know many people really caring about namespaces as long as those
namespaces are not causing any troubles. Maybe one should not look at a namespace change independent
of other changes.

If for whatever reason a configuration format and/or syntax has changed resulting in the possibility
that some or even all the user’s configurations will no longer work with a newer software
version and users receive a migration tool to convert their configurations using the old format
into a new format, users also do not care whether there is a namespace change or not (as long
as the migration tool works properly).
API changes breaking existing custom extensions (in the case of Synapse primarily “mediators”)
or (even more critical) changed runtime behaviour should normally affect end users much more.
During the too long time without any release since the last release of Synapse in June 2008
(so about two and a half years ago) I’m pretty sure any of the above will be the case.

Regards,
   Eric
________________________________
From: Supun Kamburugamuva [mailto:supun06@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:25 PM
To: dev@synapse.apache.org
Cc: user@synapse.apache.org
Subject: Re: Synapse configuration namespace

I'm +1 for a namespace change if we have changed the semantics of the synapse configuration
language at a broader level. But since we haven't done any major change to the configuration
language im 0 on this. So my opinion solely depend on what users will think and how they will
get affected.

Thanks,
Supun..
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com<mailto:ruwan.linton@gmail.com>>