synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sandesha2 release within next couple of days??
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:52:53 GMT
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think a Sandesha2 release is overdue, because the last one was done
> in 2007. This is also a good occasion to finalize the migration of the
> Sandesha2 site to the new TLP. The current site is actually in very
> bad shape: most of the pages are from the 1.0 release and have never
> been regenerated, the Javadocs are from 1.1 and the download page has
> been modified manually to include entries for 1.2 and 1.3.
>
> Interestingly, there has been work done on Sandesha2 1.4 [1] and
> Sandesha2 1.5 [2], but it appears that these efforts never went beyond
> release candidates, and the last official release is still 1.3.
>
> On the positive side:
> * Synapse reports that the current trunk works well. We also know that
> Sandesha2 is used as WS-RM implementation in IBM products. Since it
> doesn't look like there are new features being added, one may
> therefore assume that the code on the trunk is stable and in a
> releasable state.
> * When I did the Axis2 1.5.2 release, I think I tested the Sandesha2
> build with that version and it worked well. Since there is also a
> quite recent Rampart release, I think we should not have difficulties
> to resolve the snapshot dependencies.
>
> To summarize, the only thing that needs to be done is to overhaul a
> bit the build and release system (so that we can make our lives easy
> by using Nexus), and to make sure that we can properly regenerate the
> Maven site with the correct information for the new Axis TLP. I
> already did some work on this over the weekend. Since I have
> experience with the Nexus stuff, I think I should be able to finish
> the job in a couple of days.
>
> What I will already do is to request inclusion of the
> org.apache.sandesha2 groupId in the Nexus staging profile. We also
> need to agree on the version number for the release. I think it should
> be 1.4 because the aforementioned release candidates have never been
> published officially. Leaving a gap and calling it 1.6 doesn't make
> sense to me.
>
> One final question for the Synapse people: from previous releases, I
> remember that after publishing the first release candidate, you do
> quite some extensive testing before proceeding to the final vote. This
> should give us the necessary time to work on the Sandesha2 release.
> Will we see this testing phase also for the Synapse 2.0 release?

Well right now our junit tests report 100% success rate. I verified
'all' the samples a few weeks back and fixed all the issues I
encountered. Some of the problems were corrected later by Ruwan as
well, so I think at the moment all the samples are working. I
personally don't think there's a requirement for an 'extensive' round
of testing. IMO some regressions tests should be good enough.

Thanks,
Hiranya

> Andreas
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/n62ht3mowl4axad7
> [2] http://markmail.org/thread/r6nqw7tyq4i5wlqa
>
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 13:22, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Axis2 folks,
>> Synapse release has been dragging for too long and I am trying to do it
>> within tomorrow or day after tomorrow. We are using axis2 1.5.2 and found
>> that the Rampart 1.5 is compatible with the Axis2 1.5.2 version, but not
>> Sandesha2 final release.
>> So my question is that, is it possible to get a Sandesha2 release out within
>> the next couple of days? I have been trying a custom build from the
>> Sandesha2 trunk and it works for all the samples on the synapse.
>> If a compatible Sandesha2 release vote starts before I start the Synapse
>> release vote I will wait for that release to come out to call the Synapse
>> vote, but if this is not possible I will continue with the custom build of
>> the Sandesha2 with a proper warning on the documentation to not to use it in
>> production and to use a proper release from the Sandesha2 site.
>> Please be kind enough to provide a Sandesha2 build ASAP, if at all possible.
>> Thanks,
>> Ruwan
>>
>> --
>> Ruwan Linton