synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Hubert, Eric" <Eric.Hub...@foxmobile.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Synapse-2.0.0 (Take2)
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:16:23 GMT
Hi all,

here are my first test observations – let’s state it like that. So far I think it is best
to simply bring them up to the list, so we can sort out which of those are to be considered
expected behaviour and are somewhere documented and which are issues which should be fixed
according to their priority (which also needs to be determined).

1) Synapse startup test with custom 1.2 config

- config has been put into repository/conf/synapse-config as it seems to got ignored in repository/conf

- Synapse does not startup due to a problem in the config (e.g. missing registry implementation
class on the classpath)

- Unexpected behaviour: Although Synapse detects the problems, tries to perform a clean shutdown,
it “keeps hanging” and does not return to the shell with an error return value

2) Migration Tool

- executing the migration tool expects a config in repository/conf (former config location)

- old copy copied there and restarted

- migration tool modifies config

- Unexpected behaviour:

- after migration config stays in repository/conf and needs to be manually copied to repository/conf/synapse-conf
to be recognized

- migration tool mistakenly removes namespaces (destroying the config), e.g.
    <code xmlns:tns="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" value="tns:Receiver"/>
--> <syn:code value="tns:Receiver" /> resulting in startup issues

- migration tool removes indentation at the beginning of each xml element

3) Traditional config in single file versus multi file configuration

- Unexpected behaviour:

  - replacing dummy synapse.xml with old (converted) config is not enough, it results in errors
if main and/or fault sequences are used (as the must exist only once), sequence files need
to be removed from subdirectories

4) Usage of custom mediators / Site Documentation “Upgrading”

- In the docu I could not quickly locate a document summarizing the steps which need to be
done to upgrade custom mediators according to API changes (I received some AbstractMethodError).
I did not check the mediator sources against the current libraries to find out what is no
longer compiling…. Anyway a quick summary of API changes would be nice. As long as I haven’t
check the points which do not compile I cannot say for sure, whether those problems are due
to the fact that public methods not considered to be part of the public API have been used
on our end (which is not unlikely at all).

Once I find the time, I will move on with my tests (probably this late evening, CET)…

Hope the feedback is still of help…

Regards,

   Eric