synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:57:42 GMT
The Axis2 project had the same issue. The problem is that this tends
to become a vicious circle:
- Because releases are not very frequent, they are painful.
- Because releases are painful, they are not very frequent.
- Because releases are not very frequent, people tend to push all
kinds of changes into the release, which creates new difficulties and
further delays the release.

Here are the ingredients that we used to break out of that vicious
circle (except for the Axis2 Transports project, which is still caught
in that vicious circle):
- Use maven-release-plugin and Nexus to create branches and to perform
releases. This makes the process easier and more reproducible.
- Eliminate as many manual steps from the release procedure as possible.
- Document the release process, in particular the manual steps that
still need to be performed.
- Use a strategy to maintain the release/maintenance branch(es) that
ensures that all changes are always included in the trunk and that
makes it easy to determine what changes have been merged to the
branch. This avoids unpleasant surprises when doing a new major
release and ensures that the branch created during a major release can
be used later to produce maintenance releases. That in turn helps
increasing the release frequency and allows to refine the release
process.
- Make sure that several people can act (and effectively do act) as
release managers. E.g. since we switched to Nexus, every project
(Axis2, Rampart and Sandesha2) has been released at least once by
Sagara and at least once by myself.
- A frequent problem is that when starting to plan a release, people
wake up and try to put non-critical issues or feature requests on the
critical path for the release (That's what happened with the Axis2
Transports release). Don't let that happen. Instead tell people that
they should work on these issues after the release and then ask for a
maintenance release once the changes are ready.

Andreas