synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HTTP Core Performance and Reactor Buffer Size
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 00:15:42 GMT

On Nov 21, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the same manner, performance is also sensitive to the buffer size of ConnectionConfig.

Actually I was wrong. It's only sensitive to the RcvBufferSize on ReactorConfig.

> Thanks,
> Hiranya
>
> On Nov 21, 2013, at 12:08 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> I just found out that the performance of the Synapse Pass Through transport is highly
sensitive to the RcvBufferSize of the IO reactors (especially when mediating very large messages).
Here are some test results. In this case, I'm simply passing through a 1M message through
Synapse to a backend server, which simply echoes it back to the client. Notice how the execution
time of the scenario varies with the RcvBufferSize of the IO reactors.

>> RcvBufferSize (in bytes)                  Scenario Execution Time (in seconds)
>> 8192 (Synapse default)                    25.9
>> 16384                                                   0.4
>> 32768                                                   0.2
>>
>> Is this behavior normal? If so does it make sense to change the Synapse default buffer
size to something larger (e.g. 16k)?