synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Time to Call it a Day?
Date Sun, 28 Jun 2015 05:36:33 GMT
I'm opening this up for dev@ in the hope of getting some more feedback.

Thanks,
Hiranya

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com>
> Subject: Time to Call it a Day?
> Date: June 10, 2015 12:08:33 AM PDT
> To: "private@synapse.apache.org" <private@synapse.apache.org>
>
> [THIS AN INITIAL REQUEST FOR COMMENTS ONLY. NOT A VOTE.]
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> It doesn't look like there's any active development happening in Synapse anymore. Here's
a quick run down of our track record over the last few years:

> No. of commits in 2015: 2
> No. of commits in 2014: 10
> Last committer vote: December 2013
> Last release: January 2012 (v2.1)
>
> Needless to say these are not the signs of a healthy open source project. Additionally,
we have very little traffic on our mailing lists, and our efforts to do a release have been
impeded by a number of factors (committers having difficulty finding time, slow release cycles
of Axis2 and other dependencies etc.).

> Deepal is trying really hard to get an Axis2 release out the door, but despite his best
efforts that release is also being delayed due to lack of time and manpower.

> Given this status, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's time to close down the shop,
and move the project into Attic. What do you think?

> In my PERSONAL opinion, both Axis2 and Synapse have had a great run, and now it's time
for them to gracefully retire. From the lack of mailing list and development activity, it
looks like there's not much interest in these technologies any more. At least not to the point,
where new releases are required -- existing users might still need patches and routine maintenance
to already released code. The problems these projects attempt to solve (SOAP services and
enterprise integration), have been well studied, researched and solved over the last 15 years.
Many powerful and mature solutions exist (some of which are based on Axis2 and Synapse), but
there doesn't seem to be any interest towards further developing these core platforms. The
industry focus has shifted to other matters.

> However, that's just my personal view point. If the community at large believes otherwise,
then we need to take a few corrective measures. Some of us need to join the Axis2 release
effort, and expedite that release cycle. There's an open invitation from the Axis2 PMC, and
I'm sure they will be happy to grant us commit access if any of us are willing to join. Then
we need to get the Synapse release process underway, and start thinking about the future development
prospects for the Synapse project.

> Let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hiranya