synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Shafreen <anfar.shafr...@gmail.com>
Subject Message Forwarding Processor consumes all the messages at once
Date Sat, 23 May 2020 07:46:35 GMT
Hi All,

Current behaviour of the Message Forwarding Processor is to consume all the
messages at once. For instance, say, the Message Forwarding Processor is
configured to run every 10 seconds and the Message store is filled with 5
messages within the 10 second gap. In such a situation, Message Forwarding
Processor consumes all 5 messages and try to send it to back-end as fast as
possible. I think this behaviour is not optimal. The purpose of Message
Forwarding Processor it to send messages to the back-end in a controlled
rate. So that the back-end server can handle the load. IMO, ideal behaviour
should be to consume one message at a time and try to send it to the
back-end as per the configured interval.

However, if the configured interval is a cron expression, in such cases the
current behaviour is correct. Because cron expressions could have very
large intervals.

Therefore, I think it is best to keep the current behaviour for cron
intervals but change it for normal intervals as aforementioned.

WDYT ?

Thanks,
Shafreen