systemml-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias Boehm" <mbo...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project Roadmap
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2015 11:09:06 GMT

>From my perspective, our roadmap for 2016 should cover the following
SystemML engine extensions with regard to runtime (R), optimizer (O), as
well as language and tools (L). Each sub-bullet in the following list will
be further broken down into multiple JIRAs.

R1) Extended Scale-Up Backend
* Support for large dense matrix blocks >16GB
* Extended multi-threaded operations (e.g., ctable, aggregate)
* NUMA-awareness (partitioning and multi-threaded operations)
* Extended update-in-place support

R2) Generalized Matrix Block Library
* Investigation interface design (abstraction)
* Boolean matrices and operations
* Different types of sparse matrix blocks
* Additional physical runtime operators

R3) HW Accelerators / Low-Level Optimizations
* Exploit GPU BLAS libraries (integration)
* Custom GPU kernels for complex operator patterns
* Low-level optimizations (source code gen, compression)

O1) Global Program Optimization
* Global data flow optimization (rewrites, holistic)
* Code motion (for cse, program block merge)
* Advanced loop vectorization (common patterns)
* Advanced function inlining (inlining multi-block functions)
* Extended inter-procedure analysis (independent constant propagation)

O2) Cost Model
* Update memory budgets wrt Spark 1.6 dynamic memory management
* Extended runtime cost model for Spark (incl lazy evaluation)
* Extended execution type selection based on FLOPs

O3) Dynamic Rewrites
* Extended matrix mult chain opt (sparsity, rewrites, ops)
* Rewrites exploiting additional statistics (e.g., min/max)

O4) Optimizer Support R2/R3
* Extended memory estimates for R2/R3
* Type inference for matrix operations
* Extended cost model and operator selection

L1) Extended Spark Interfaces
* Hardening MLContext (config, lazy eval, cleanup)
* Extended Spark ML wrappers for all algorithms
* Investigation of embedded DSL with sufficient optimization scope

L2) New/Extended Builtin Functions
* Second order functions (apply), incl optimizer/runtime support
* Generalization of existing functions from vectors to matrices
* Additional builtin functions (e.g., var, sd, rev, rep, sign, etc)

L3) Extended Dev Tools
* Extended statistics output (e.g., wrt Spark lazy evaluation)
* Extended benchmarking (data generators, test suites, etc)

Once we create the individual JIRAs, we should also include a list of new
algorithms as well as additional documentation guides.

Regards,
Matthias