systemml-dev mailing list archives

From dusenberr...@gmail.com
Subject Future Release Package Naming & Structure
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:49:19 GMT
Hi all,

A discussion regarding the release package structure started on pull request 54 [https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/pull/54].
 Currently, we have a "distributed" release for running SystemML on a cluster* using Spark
or Hadoop, as well as a "standalone" release for running SystemML on a single node with Java
(no Spark or Hadoop installation necessary).  Given this, two questions were raised during
the discussion:

  1. Should we name our releases as "*-cluster" and "*-standalone", or just distinguish the
standalone version as "*" and "*-standalone"?
  2. Should we maintain the two separate releases ("distributed" and "standalone"), or should
we move to have one single release with one JAR that works in all environments and execution
modes?

The consensus was that there are pros and cons for each option, and that this discussion would
be more appropriate for the mailing list.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Mike

* Yes, SystemML can still be run in single node execution mode even on Spark or Hadoop.

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Sent from my iPhone.