systemml-dev mailing list archives

From dusenberr...@gmail.com
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] SystemML with Spark 2.0 support and roadmap
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2016 01:05:49 GMT
I think this is a great idea so that we can simplify the official release and reduce confusion
for potential users.  Certainly we can still retain the potential to build the extra artifacts
locally, just like Spark current does.

I would also like to suggest that we move away from the current Standalone package that is
designed to be used with Java, and instead move to simply using Spark in local mode for all
"standalone" applications. Since running Spark locally on a laptop consists of simply downloading
a release binary and running it, without any installation, I think this is a much cleaner
way now. This would allow us to immediately move to the goal of only releasing a single JAR
file, as that same JAR file could be used in Spark locally, Spark on a cluster, and Hadoop
on a cluster.  Then we could just release the single JAR file and a folder of scripts as our
official release. All other special artifacts could be kept as "download and build" artifacts.

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Sent from my iPhone.