systemml-dev mailing list archives

From dusenberr...@gmail.com
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache SystemML Release 1.0.0
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2016 01:11:26 GMT
Yes I'm also in favor of moving to a 1.0 version for our upcoming release targeting the Spark
1.x series. Since we'll also be subsequently releasing a version targeting the Spark 2.x series,
I would also like to suggest that we name that version 2.0. This version naming scheme would
allow us to easily associate a SystemML version with the Spark series that it targets, thus
reducing confusion for a user. Rather than view a 2.0 version as a successor to 1.0, let's
view it instead as simply a naming scheme that corresponds to the targeted version of Spark.

So, 1.0 would be our upcoming release targeting Spark 1.x, and 2.0 would be our upcoming release
targeting Spark 2.x.

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Sent from my iPhone.

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 4:53 PM, Frederick R Reiss <frreiss@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> I would favor declaring a 1.0 release. Having two digits in the minor release is a bit
awkward, and the project has progressed enough in terms of functionality and stability to
warrant a major release number bump.

> Fred
>
> Luciano Resende ---08/24/2016 11:19:20 AM---With the decision to have sort of two code
streams, one to support 1.0x and another to support 2.x,