systemml-dev mailing list archives

From dusenberr...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Branch 0.14 based on SystemML-0.14 RC1 has been deleted
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2017 22:08:58 GMT
We should create a 0.14rc branch and use it for all 0.14 release candidates (if there are more
than one, which there are in this case).  Any fixes needed should simply be added to master
and cherry picked onto 0.14rc.  If the code in master has already removed the need for the
fix (i.e. a major refactoring), then the fix simply goes to the 0.14rc branch.  Tying the
master branch down for weeks on end just slows down development, and allows subtle bugs to
be introduced in between release candidates.

-Mike

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Sent from my iPhone.

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 2:38 PM, Arvind Surve <acs_s@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> At this point we are not restricting anyone to put code on SystemML master branch unless
its breaking backward compatibility.
> When we cut RC3, it will be cut based on master branch. So any fixes put since RC1 has
cut will go in RC3 as well.

>  Arvind Surve | Spark Technology Center  | http://www.spark.tc/

it's been 10 days since RC1 was cut, and RC3 is going to be cut from master. I feel this is
starting to affect the project moving foward. As an example, the Apache Commons CLI PR has
still not been merged into master since it is waiting on the 0.14 validation and voting to
be finished. If it takes another total of 10 days for RC3 to be approved (by us and the IPMC),
it means that during 1/3 of our 2-month release cycle we can't commit forward-thinking features
on master.