systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Boehm <mboe...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: SystemML on a single node
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:48:43 GMT
Hi Anthony,

other than for testing, we usually don't recommend to run in spark local
mode as it breaks the memory model of SystemML, and thus, can lead to OOMs.
Regarding the memory configuration of a single-node setup, you're usually
best served by allocating most of your memory to the driver as we support
multi-threaded single-node operations and this avoids the (unnecessary)
overhead of distributed operations (w/ partial aggregation, constraints,
and numerous other overheads).

The only exception are nodes with very large memory and if you have dense
matrices that exceed 16GB. Our current dense matrix blocks (for single-node
operations the entire matrix is represented as a single block) use a
linearized array which is limited to 2B elements in Java. In this
situation, it can be beneficial to spent most memory for the executor to
exploit all available memory and perform multi-threaded operations via
pseudo-distributed operations. Note that there is the open SYSTEMML-1312
task to support large dense matrix blocks with >16GB but it's unclear if it
will make it into the SystemML 1.0 release.

Regards,
Matthias