systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Boehm <mboe...@gmail.com>
Subject Matrices with zero rows and/or columns
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2018 05:56:18 GMT
Hi all,

just a heads-up: tomorrow I'm going to push a deep-cutting change that will
allow matrices with zero rows and/or columns to simply common use cases and
remove quirks such as returning an empty row after removeEmpty on an empty
matrix.

Since this touches hundreds of conditions in the compiler and runtime, this
might introduce bugs, so please let me know whenever you encounter a
related issue.

Down the road, we will support all operations including aggregates over
such matrices which requires special treatment because for example
min(matrix(0, n, 0)) is INF while min(matrix(0, n, n)) is 0. For backwards
compatibility, I'll leave the return semantics of removeEmpty by default
untouched, but add a flag which allows to enable proper return semantics.

Regards,
Matthias