tajo-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Tajo from the Incubator
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 05:20:20 GMT
Hi Guys,

I am circling back around to this.

Please VOTE to graduate Apache Tajo from the Incubator, per the
following resolution below. I included Hyunsik Choi as the Vice
President (VP) of Apache Tajo in this resolution. I think Hyunsik
has performed the VP activities of the project quite well -- he has
led the inclusion of new PPMC members and committers on the project;
he has worked diligently with others to release Tajo and to inform
the community of the goings on in the project; the podling overall
has done an amazing job.

Please find the graduation resolution below. I will leave this VOTE
open for at least next the 72 hours. If the VOTE is successful we
will move the VOTE on general@incubator.apache.org and look for a
successful VOTE there. If the project successfully passes that
milestone I will add it to the board agenda either for February
2014 or March 2014 and if successful there, Tajo will be an official
Apache top level project.

Please VOTE below:

[ ] +1 Graduate Apache Tajo from the Incubator.
[ ] +0 Don't care.
[ ] -1 Don't graduate Apache Tajo from the Incubator because

Here is my enthusiastic +1 for Tajo's graduation!

Cheers,
Chris

---resolution

  interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
  purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
  the creation and maintenance of open-source software, for
  distribution at no charge to the public, related to low latency
  queries, and extract, transform and load
(ETL) operations for the Hadoop ecosystem.

  NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
  (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Tajo Project" be and hereby is
  established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

  RESOLVED, that the Apache Tajo Project be and hereby is responsible
  for the creation and maintenance of software
related to low latency queries, and extract, transform and load
(ETL) operations for the Hadoop ecosystem; and be it further

  RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Tajo", be
  and hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve
  at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
  Apache Tajo Project, and to have primary responsibility for
management of the projects within the scope of responsibility
  of the Apache Tajo Project; and be it further

  RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby
  are appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Tajo
  Project:

Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>
Eli Reisman <ereisman@apache.org>
Henry Saputra <hsaputra@apache.org>
Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik@apache.org>
Jakob Glen Homan <jghoman@apache.org>
Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org>
Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org>
JaeHwa Jung <blrunner@apache.org>
Jinho Kim <jhkim@apache.org>
Jihoon Son <jihoonson@apache.org>
Keuntae Park <sirpkt@apache.org>
Roshan Sumbaly <rsumbaly@apache.org>
Sangwook Kim <swkim@apache.org>
Yi Liu <yliu@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Hyunsik Choi be appointed
to the office of Vice President, Apache Tajo, to serve in accordance
with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Tajo Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Tajo
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Tajo podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are
hereafter discharged.

-----Original Message----- From: Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik@apache.org>
Date: Friday, December 20, 2013 8:08 AM To: Chris Mattmann
<Chris.A.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> Cc: "dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org"
<dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation
(was Re: Request for Tajo wiki administration grant)

Hi Chris,

I really appreciate your suggestion. If Tajo project is eligible
to discuss the graduation of the incubation, I also think that we
don't need more new mentors. If so, we will do our best for completing
the graduation resolution.

Thanks and have nice holidays!

- hyunsik

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote: Changing thread title, please
use this title to discuss.

-----Original Message----- From: <Mattmann>, jpluser
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> Reply-To: "dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org"
<dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org> Date: Thursday, December 19, 2013
9:31 AM To: Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik@apache.org> Cc:
"dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org" <dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Request for Tajo wiki administration grant

Hi Hyunsik,

Thanks for your email.

Gotcha, yeah you should be the wiki admin for sure (and more people
that are active in the project). Do you have any volunteers or
names?

I'm also happy to CC the mailing list on this so others can chime
in.  I realize I've been really bogged down and haven't had time
to be as active a mentor as I would have liked.

The good news though is that people like you and the rest of the
Tajo community have continued to simply hit the ground running.
You've made releases, you've invited and added new contributors
(PPMC members) to the project. You've vetted and made software in
the Apache way. I'm not sure what the benefit of adding new mentors
(who will eventually become inactive b/c life happens ;) would be
-- my honest recommendation is to discuss graduation from the
Incubator. I think you would make an excellent PMC chair (and thus
you have my VOTE and suggestion).

Graduating from the Incubator will mean that you guys who are doing
the work will have binding VOTEs and can continue to develop Apache
Tajo and make it awesome in the ASF way. So, I'm recommending:

1. others chime in on this discuss thread over the next week or two
2. I'll post a VOTE on dev@tajo.i.a.o for graduating from the
Incubator (this is the community VOTE). If all goes well here; 3.
I'll post a VOTE on general@i.a.o and let it run for a week and if
all goes well there; 4. We'll post the graduation resolution to the
January 2014 board agenda and get you guys graduated.

1-4 are predicated above on me making a graduation resolution. I'll
throw one up shortly for you guys to discuss and eventually VOTE
on in #2.

Sound good?

Separately: please contact infra by filing an infra ticket to add
you and whomever else you believe should be a Wiki admin for Tajo.
Also feel free to send the INFRA ticket # back to the list so we
can monitor it.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Cheers, Chris

-----Original Message----- From: Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik@apache.org>
Date: Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:21 AM To: jpluser
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> Subject: Re: Request for Tajo wiki
administration grant

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply. Can I be a wiki admin? Actually, I wanted
you to add me to admin group. This is because I'm concerned that
there is no wiki admin except for you.

Aside from this issue, I've very very concerned with few active
mentors. There are only two mentors including you. Furthermore,
Owen looks very busy, and he haven't respond some emails. Actually,
we need more active mentors. Could you give some advice or recommend
us to invite some mentors for Tajo project?

Anyway, have nice holidays!!

Best regards, Hyunsik Choi

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote: Hey Hyunsik,

I just saw:

http://wiki.apache.org/tajo/ContributorsGroup

Looks like someone took care of this for you. Glad it got sorted
and you ROCK!

Cheers, Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.  Senior Computer Scientist NASA Jet Propulsion
Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department University
of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA

-----Original Message----- From: Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik@apache.org>
Date: Sunday, December 1, 2013 5:56 PM To: jpluser
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> Subject: Request for Tajo wiki
administration grant

Dear Chris,

Have enjoyed nice Thanksgiving?

Recently, Tajo community grows rapidly. Some contributors are
requesting wiki accounts. But, we cannot deal with those request
because there is no wiki admin. Could you add my Tajo wiki account
(HyunsikChoi) to AdminGroup? If so, I will directly handle wiki
accounts.

Best regards, Hyunsik Choi