tajo-dev mailing list archives

From Hyunsik Choi <hyun...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Beyond 0.10.0 release
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 23:00:32 GMT
Hi Dongjun,

Thank you for sharing the contents.

But, we didn't discuss any dates of future releases. We just hope that
we 0.11.0 release mid of this year. Besides, we have only 0.11 roadmap
and don't have the detailed plans of future releases. How can we
determine the release dates without roadmap?

In general, there may be two release approaches: date-based release or
feature-based release. Many open source projects including Tajo
usually follow feature-based release. In open source projects,
date-based release is very risky and is not realistic.

Open source projects are basically powered by volunteer works. Even if
many salaried contributors are participating in this project, they are
not controlled by Tajo community. In most cases, they firstly work for
what they need or they are interested in. So, we cannot force them to
firstly do specified issues in roadmap. Therefore, it is not easy to
achieve specific issues on the roadmap on specified date.

I think that the roadmap can be just a direction and some kinds of
recommendation for contributors.

Best regards,
Hyunsik

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Dongjoon Hyun <dongjoon@apache.org> wrote:
> As a user of Tajo, I want to share what I understand yesterday's meetup in
> this mailing list.
> It will be a start of further discussion. Please correct me. :)
>
> RELEASE
> ========
> 1. Tajo Community is planned QUATALY release in 2015, hopefully.
>     0.10.0 (March)
>     0.11.0 (June)
>     0.12.0 (September)
>     0.13.0 (December)
>
> 2. Minor Revision is planned MONTHLY release, hopefully.
>     0.10.1  (April)
>     0.10.2  (May)
>     0.10.3  (June)
>
> 3. Despite of lack of resource, Minor Revision is able to include 'NEW
> FEATURE without Compatibility Issues' and bug fixes.
>
> 4. For Tajo 1.0.0, we must achieve the following things.
>     - Multi-tenency
>     - Security
>     - TPC-DS
>

> FEATURE
> ========
> 1. Tajo will support YARN by using APACHE SLIDER (
> http://slider.incubator.apache.org/) before June.
>
> 2. Tajo will support Pluggable Security Interface to reduce the dependancy.
>     1.1 Basic ID/Password Authentication (using RDBMS table)
>     1.2 Apache Sentry
>     1.3 Active Directory (Someday)
>     1.4 Kerberos  (Someday)
>

> Feel free to comment anything!
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Warmly,
> Dongjoon.
>

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> If there are no further discussion, I'll update the Roadmap page in wiki.
>>
>> - hyunsik
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Dongjoon Hyun <dongjoon@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> > Absolutely!