tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Viktor Szathmary" <phrak...@imapmail.org>
Subject Re: Use of interfaces ...
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:40:02 GMT
On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 11:08:22 -0500, "Geoff Longman"
<glongman@intelligentworks.com> said:
> I think you should find out how ofter people are brewing up thier own
> component classes.

i don't think this happens very often (if at all :), since there are so
many expectations on what to implement... OTOH, interfaces are useful, as
they provide more opportunities for extending things in an unanticipated
way (eg. think dynamic proxy interceptors)... also, i think perhaps
cutting some large interfaces into more manageable pieces would be more
useful, and then using composition with those... if you think about it,
it also has much to do with what I was ranting about sometimes, that
right now there's just too much behavior being inherited, leaving little
room for experimenting with other ways of (non-)pooling for example.

> If your performance tests are positive this could offset some of the
> sacrifices made in the name of useablilty.

I expect you will find other hotspot to optimize performance on, and the
interface/concrete call difference will be negligible.

> >Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
> >http://jakarta.apache.org/proposals/tapestry
>
> Call yourself whattever you like, you've earned it. Maybe I'll call
> myself
> the "Imperious Leader" of Spindle. riiight.

How about "Benign Dictator"? :))

best regards,
    viktor

--