tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "David Solis" <dso...@legosoft.com.mx>
Subject RE: New applications
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:07:01 GMT

JBoss is
> trivial).
>
> For things like a photorealistic calculator, perhaps that could be
another
> page within Workbench?

Yes, it was my idea. In fact this example is based on an xmlc example.

> Workbench is supposed to be a collection of mini-examples in greater
> isolation, more accessible than even the Vlib.  Before the Mock test
> suite,
> it was a place to test components.  It's still useful for manually
testing
> components with client-side JavaScript.

But what is the limit? This application can grow and will be a monster.

> Licensing issues:  Non-ASL license is the Kiss Of Death.  Not only can
we
> not include GPL or LGPL JARs in CVS or the distro, we *cannot* import
from
> LGPL or GPL package.  If you remember, for a while jFreechart (LGPL)
> wasn't
> distributed and users had to acquire it separately ... even that's not
> enough; had to switch over to jCharts (thanks Luis!) which is ASL or
BSD
> (I
> forget which).
>
> Even now, McKoi DB is a pain; users have to acquire it, and the tiny
JMX
> patch, seperately and dump them into ext-dist before configuring
JBoss.

> What are the licenses for Hibernate and Cayenne?

Hibernate: LGPL
Cayenne: ObjectStyle Group Software License
(http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/LICENSE). Is this license compatible
with ASL?

I don't know Jakarta ojb, but it could an alternative, however there are
a lot of bad references.

> Luis Neves has contributed a Tapestry Petshop; I haven't had a chance
> look at it (sorry!).
>
> There's copyright issues, I believe, in simply duplicating Sun's
demos,
> especially if we recycle any of their assets (images and such).
Ideally,
> we
> would rip out the JSP portion and replace it with Tapestry and leave
the
> EJBs and/or web services (for Adventure Builder) intact.  Again, the
Sun
> license for the code is probably incompatible with the ASL.

This sounds like a nightmare.
I was thinking about petstore or adventure because many people can
compare approaches.
What about a tapestry store?