tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@attbi.com>
Subject RE: New applications
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:35:26 GMT
My Opinion: More demos are good with certain caveats.

More demos is more to deploy into Tomcat or Jetty (deploying into JBoss is
trivial).

For things like a photorealistic calculator, perhaps that could be another
page within Workbench?

Workbench is supposed to be a collection of mini-examples in greater
isolation, more accessible than even the Vlib.  Before the Mock test suite,
it was a place to test components.  It's still useful for manually testing
components with client-side JavaScript.

Licensing issues:  Non-ASL license is the Kiss Of Death.  Not only can we
not include GPL or LGPL JARs in CVS or the distro, we *cannot* import from a
LGPL or GPL package.  If you remember, for a while jFreechart (LGPL) wasn't
distributed and users had to acquire it separately ... even that's not
enough; had to switch over to jCharts (thanks Luis!) which is ASL or BSD (I
forget which).

Even now, McKoi DB is a pain; users have to acquire it, and the tiny JMX
patch, seperately and dump them into ext-dist before configuring JBoss.

What are the licenses for Hibernate and Cayenne?

Luis Neves has contributed a Tapestry Petshop; I haven't had a chance to
look at it (sorry!).

There's copyright issues, I believe, in simply duplicating Sun's demos,
especially if we recycle any of their assets (images and such).  Ideally, we
would rip out the JSP portion and replace it with Tapestry and leave the
EJBs and/or web services (for Adventure Builder) intact.  Again, the Sun
license for the code is probably incompatible with the ASL.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components