tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Lear <r...@zopyra.com>
Subject Re: Consistency
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:00:03 GMT
On Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 09:50:35 (-0400) Howard M. Lewis Ship writes:
>For the book, I'm making the claim that Tapestry enforces a kind of
>consistency between developers on team projects. ...

I'd be careful with this claim.  Human creativity is notorious for
using very necessary constraints on freedom to produce immense
diversity.  Western music (not to exclude other forms) and human
language are two obvious examples.  Tapestry might "encourage"
consistency and provide ways this might be enforced, but to my mind,
"consistency" really comes from the particular development culture,
and there are multiple dimensions to the development of software
within which there will be differing levels of consistency.

Joe points out that Tapestry "constrains the solution space", but
so does the twelve-tone octave.

In fact, one might flip it on its head: with such a tightly constrained
basis, creativity is thereby unleashed and will require more social
constraints to enforce consistency.

Just a thought ...

Bill