tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Anatoli Krassavine" <anatoli.krassav...@intellidos.com>
Subject RE: problem: how to avoid inconsistencies when a user open alinkin anew window
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:29:35 GMT
  Hello mb,

  True, and the way around is not to encode all persistence information
blindly
into URL - it is a waste of effort. Instead, the persistence info is encoded
into an object stored on the server and I only pass the key to this
information
inside URL.

  The way I am doing it is to ask every page to give me a single object
representing
its persistent state within such framework. After that I use database to
actually
persist the object and use the key from now on.

  I realize that we are still running into the problem of "when to clear the
caches", etc,
but so far it seems to work fine. Since my system works with huge databases
of data
as a backend (think terabytes), allocating few megabytes for persistent page
options
never bothered anyone. The worst page state I ever had was only 2K. I only
clear
the state after the user logs out.

  BTW - the reason I originally faced the problem was having several
independent
sortable tables (contrib:Table) on the same page AND have several such pages
around.

  Cheers,
   Toly