tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Vince Marco <vma...@mac.com>
Subject Re:OGNL
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:45:45 GMT
> I've tried to get people interested in OGNL, but it seems that it is a
> "stealth" project.  People use it within their frameworks and
> projects, but it doesn't get any press or recognition :-(

Well, so far my experience with OGNL is that it is a real time (and
code) saver in the specification files.  It helps me avoid classes
where I really shouldn't need one.  Great for bindings.

But I do like to limit (if not eliminate) all OGNL expressions from my
templates.  My whole excitement about Tapestry is to avoid the same
problem I end up with using JSPs and Struts...which is that I end up
mixing logic into my HTML.

But there are times when expediency wins out, at least in the near term
and I use an occasional OGNL expression in the HTML template.

I need to get more into OGNL, as I'm sure it can do much more for me.

Say, one aspect of Struts I find very annoying is that when I'm using
their expressions to access JBs and a null is down the line (ie.
"office.city.address.line1" and address is null).  I want to handle
this as elegantly as possible in Tapestry without adding a null handler
to every JB class.  Can I add the null handler to an abstract class and
have it effect instances of inherited classes?  This seems to be an
OGNL question.

Thanks,

Vince

Vince Marco