tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Mind Bridge" <mindbridge...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: validation text area
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:33:04 GMT
Hi,

	Personally, I have not been involved at all with the basic components and
the validation extensions, but it seems to me that it makes sense to have a
validated TextArea and perhaps refactor the original code slightly to make
TextArea a subclass of AbstractTextComponent.

	I am aware that many of the standard validators would not make a lot of
sense in the TextArea context (e.g. EmailValidator and DateValidator) but
still -- one should be able to tie in a custom validator and use the
FieldLabel component together with a validated TextArea.

	Are there any reasons not to do so?

	If not, I can do those changes in the Tapestry code later. It is a small
thing, but I believe it has to wait for the 3.1 release cycle.

Best regards,
-mb

-----Original Message-----
From: Marilen Corciovei [mailto:len@nemesisit.rdsnet.ro]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 3:45 PM
To: Tapestry users
Subject: validation text area

Hi!

I have seen some posts with this question but none was answered. Since I
needed something like that I wrote it
(http://nemesisit.rdsnet.ro/len/validarea.tgz).

In the end I realized I did a lot of copy-paste from the
AbstractTextField and ValidField components. This was somehow strange
since the AbstractTextField seems to have a lot of support for
extensions like the ValidField while the TextArea does not. Is there a
reason for that? I was expecting some similarities bethween the two
components yet found almost none.

Best regards,
Len