tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Mindbridge" <mindbridge...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Text encoding problem.
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:07:16 GMT
Hi,

[re: property files used by Tapestry]

> I never understood why properties files are thus. Why isn't UTF-8 the
> 'normal' format?
> If it's to maintain consistency with Java source code, I'd suggest that
> that is unnecessary, given that properties files exist to catalogue a
> library of localised strings. Furthermore, ASCII is a subset of UTF-8 so
> it could easily have been extended some while back, without causing
> backward incompatibility.

Actually, I wanted to add a more generic (yet fully backward-compatiple)
solution to this, similar to the way the template encodings are handled.
Unfortunately, it is not as simple, requires proper reimplementation of a
number of Java classes, etc. Given that we are now in beta3, and there is a
work-around, I think it will be best to leave this for 3.1.

But I agree, it has to be added, the only issue is timing.

Best regards,
-mb