tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Colin Sampaleanu <colin...@exis.com>
Subject Re: HiveMind feedback/questions
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:03:29 GMT
Anybody in the Tapestry world who finds HiveMind
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/hivemind/) interesting should
probably also take a good look at Spring Framework
(http://www.springframework.org/). I am unfortunately much more familiar
with Spring than with HiveMind, so it wouldn't be fair for me to try to
qualify which containter I think is 'better' (and an assertion like this
is usually relative to the use-case anyways), but I think anybody can
learn a lot by looking at both approaches. While the gross functionality
is pretty similar, there are of course some fundamental differences in
the approaches taken to implementation, configuration, and usage.

Along with the container services, Spring does include a lot of other
things, such as integration into the container and interceptor framework
of a JDBC abstraction layer, some Hibernate support code, transactional
wrapping, etc. There is also a UI layer which I haven't used so far as I
prefer Tapestry.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote an article on intergrating Tapestry with
Spring. It does assume you are already familiar with both frameworks
however. It's available at:
  http://www.springframework.org/docs/integration/tapestry.html

Regards,
Colin