tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: versions
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:37:00 GMT

> Is JUnit's license incompatible with the ASF one?
I presume it is, since Howard did a rather extensive research
about it while we were in incubation, but I would like to
> ask just in case...

>From long and tortured discussions (too much to precis here) about Jars in
cvs and source distributions the accepted wisdom seems to be that it is
generally unacceptable to put 3rd party jars in cvs because these can be
downloaded via view-cvs without the downloader having to download and agree
to the jars' licences.

Many libraries are licenced under terms which allow them to be included in
binary distributions, but not source ones; and it seems to be acceptable to
have documentary evidence that an alternative agreement has been reached
between you and the owner of the IP, as was the case for the old mm.mysql
jdbc driver.

One solution to this niggle is to check for the jars at the start of the
build script, and print a friendly message, with a URL, so the user can get
them themselves. Ant and Maven are also both capable of getting jars
themselves and of presenting a licence for acceptance before they do so,
but I don't know alot about how. (see the James build scripts for examples
of this http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/james-server/)

There are a lot of jars in cvs, but I would recommend that you try to make
another arrangement as it is officially "Frowned upon" and may actually be
contravening some licences.

general@jakarta is the place to discuss this further, and I would recommend
searching the general@ archive, which must contain a bazillion messages on
this topic.