tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: Table component changes checked in
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:30:36 GMT

> Hi guys,
>
> Just wanted to let you know that I have checked in the Table
> component modifications I was talking about earlier, so now
> using Table is nearly as easy as using Foreach. I have also
> managed to modify the LocaleSelection component in the
> Workbench the use the new stuff, but I do not have time for
> LocaleList at the moment, unfortunately. I am leaving for a
> few days and will only have sporadic computer access in the
> mean time. I intend to do modify LocaleList and check in the
> documentation changes when I come back.
>
> A few other things:
> - Shouldn't the 'type' attribute of <parameter> in the
> component specs be required? Or perhaps have it default to
> java.lang.Object?

That's how I thought it worked. It doesn't?

> - Shouldn't passing a parameter to a component when it is
> marked as 'reserved' cause an exception? At the moment it
> does not (thank god for Spindle!).

The correct behavior is to ignore static bindings that originate in the HTML template, but
throw an
exception for non-static bindings, or static bindings in the specification.

> - should the string 'true' evaluate to the boolean value of
> TRUE? In that way the common mistake of writing 'true' rather
> than 'ognl:true' will not be a problem.

Any non-null string should evaluate to true.  The problem is that 'false' also evaluates to
true,
since it is also a non-null string. This is a very, very common error ... perhaps we should
special
case 'false' to evaluate to true (inside Tapestry.evaluateBoolean() ) ?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components