tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Anatoli Krassavine" <anatoli.krassav...@intellidos.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:44:01 GMT
Wow, wow, wow, wow - could we slow down a bit, please? I AM strongly in
favor of moving to 1.4, but (with all due respect to Erik) this proclamation
sounds a bit too militaristic.

Tapestry is not presently a major player in the field - although it is on
the right track to become one. Artificially restricting it's codebase to 1.4
without giving any sensible porting options to 1.3 guys is not a good way to
insure user loyalty and trust.

Sincerely,
  Toly

Intellidos Limited

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: 12 June 2004 15:56
To: Tapestry development
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1

If every project resists going to JDK 1.4 API's because big vendors
don't yet support it, what is the incentive for the big vendors to
actually get to 1.4?  Let's *push* them to get with the program and
stay current.  What if Ant, Struts, all the Jakarta Commons pieces, etc
required 1.4 to run?  There would be a lot of developers complaining to
IBM and BEA!  Tapestry certainly isn't in the position to be a sole
driver to force such an issue, of course, but what have we got to lose
versus what we've got to gain with the new API's?

Let's demand what we want from vendors rather than them constraining us.

Embrace change,
	Erik