tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Anatoli Krassavine" <anatoli.krassav...@intellidos.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:24:12 GMT
Hello,

In my field (pharmaceutical/oil/utilities industries) everyone has long
moved to 1.4.

I could see no problems (and multiple advantages) in Tapestry using 1.4 API.

Nevertheless, I appreciate that there are organizations for which it is
going to be an issue. Which 1.4 features are you planning to use? Will it be
possible to isolate them, so that a custom 1.3 build will still be
available?

Cheers,
 Toly

Intellidos Limited

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Angus [mailto:Danny_Angus@slc.co.uk]
Sent: 10 June 2004 15:13
To: Tapestry development
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1

> I say go for it. 1.4 has been out for a long time now...

I'd temper that with a note of caution, many big organisations have a much
slower turn around time, the suppliers of software have to upgrade it to be
compatible with the newer JVM, then the organisation itself has to evaluate
and upgrade.

We've only recently gone to 1.4, because we've only recently upgraded
oracle software, which itself demanded 1.3 for quite a while after 1.4 was
out.

In point of fact if we were still running our appservers on the UNIX we had
been using we'd *still* not be able to upgrade to 1.4 and be supported by
Oracle.

My Point?.. Make sure that your reasons for upgrading Tapestry's
requirement are sound, and don't do this on a whim just because you fancy
messing about with nio or jdbc3.

d.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the
addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for
delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us
immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer. You
may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other
person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption Student
Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes made
to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be inappropriate
to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining
written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the
sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your
responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed in
this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions and
views of The Student Loans Company Limited.

presence of computer viruses.