tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:56:13 GMT
On Jun 12, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Anatoli Krassavine wrote:
> Wow, wow, wow, wow - could we slow down a bit, please? I AM strongly in
> favor of moving to 1.4, but (with all due respect to Erik) this
> proclamation
> sounds a bit too militaristic.

Easy now... my comments were more general than just for Tapestry.  I
can only base my views on my experience.  I'm personally developing
software on 1.4 and have been for quite a long time.  I frequently
speak to developers all around the US, and the majority of folks are at
1.4.  Making life hard on myself for backwards compatibility and
"legacy" support is just not of interest to me - I prefer to stay
current and leverage the latest-greatest.

I am but one vote on a move to 1.4-dependent API - if the community
feels strongly about it, then I've no objections either way.

It is a tough decision to make, though.... if we put it to a community
vote, we'd only hear -1's from those that care and far fewer votes from
those that simply aren't concerned about it either way.  But my guess
would be the majority of folks would be in 1.4-savvy world.  Where do
we draw the line?  Do we wait until there are no objections at all?

> Tapestry is not presently a major player in the field - although it is
> on
> the right track to become one. Artificially restricting it's codebase
> to 1.4
> without giving any sensible porting options to 1.3 guys is not a good
> way to
> insure user loyalty and trust.

Howard isn't proposing this change "artificially" - he has very sound
reasons for wanting to upgrade.  I'm +1 on that.

Sensible porting options?  Stick with Tapestry 3.0 - it works fine.
When you move to a container that can support Java 1.4, then you can
upgrade to Tapestry 3.1 - that's my vote.  Those that are passionate
about Tapestry 3.1 working on Java 1.3 can jump in and contribute a
backwards-compatible adapter if they like.  Issues with that?

	Erik