tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:05:09 GMT

On Jun 13, 2004, at 4:12 AM, Glen Stampoultzis wrote:

> Personally I don't think those are good enough reasons to jump to 1.4.
>  Websphere is pretty common in oz and most WebSphere implementations
> I've seen still use 1.3.  A lot of big organizations move very slowly
> with upgrading their server infrastructure so I'd like to avoid
> upgrading if possible.  Ideally if you could produce a build that
> takes advantage of 1.4 if available that would be ideal.  The joys of
> dynamic class loading should make this doable.

Again, my argument is that if you're going to use an older VM version,
then use an older Tapestry version.  Remember that we are talking about
Tapestry 3.1, which is still on the drawing board - we're still a month
or two at least away from such a release I'd bet.  A lot of those same
big organizations that are slow upgrading are also slow to upgrade
their actual applications to bleeding edge API's and are probably not
using Tapestry, more than likely.

	Erik