tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <rdzei...@u.arizona.edu>
Subject Re: components and properties
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:46:59 GMT
I'm going to assume that you mean a property defined by the
<property-specification> tag...
it's just a java property, nothing more, nothing less.
It's adding a getter/setter to your page object at runtime. That's it.

Component:

a component is something that does something to your page. ;) That's a
vague definition, sorry, but, in most cases, a component is something
that will result in one of the following things:

stuff (html, text, etc.) that is output to your page
control whether or not stuff is output (conditional)
how many times to output stuff (loops)

So, whereas a property might be used to store information like...
what a user input into a text field, a component is used to /render/ the
stored information, as well as the text field, and any other related
markup. HTH.

Robert