tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AbsoluteURLBuilder - what the dilly?
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:30:28 GMT
It's also needed when building the href for a <base> tag.

In addition, the servlet API implementation can't be trusted if you
are behind a firewall ... Tapestry's IRequestDecoder interface is all
about figuring out what the correct URL is for the client.

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:21:49 -0800, Paul Ferraro <pmf8@columbia.edu> wrote:
> Within the services package I stumbled across a new class called
> AbsoluteURLBuilder.  I'm a bit confused with how and where it is meant
> to be used.  Is the intention to replace the logic currently in
> EngineServiceLink?  According to what I see documented, it is used "to
> generate complete URLs, suitable for use when sending client-side
> redirects."  The only place I see it referenced is in the RestartService
> - but it doesn't seem to add any value, since the redirect would work
> just fine without it:
> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#sendRedirect(java.lang.String)
>
> ...on a related note...
>
> It's been my intention to extract the building of a url from its
> ILinkRender (e.g. DefaultLinkRenderer vs. AbsoluteLinkRenderer) so that
> the logic can be reused to benefit other ILinkRenderers (e.g.
> PopupLinkRenderer, ButtonLinkRenderer, etc.) as well as the Form
> component.  My initial idea was to decouple the building of a ILink's
> url from an from the representation of the link (e.g. EngineServiceLink,
> StaticLink, etc.) itself.  A newly created url builder interface was to
> be leveraged by link components and the Form component alike to support
> things like toggling SSL.
>
> Is this the purpose for which the AbsoluteURLBuilder is intended?  if
> so, how?  If not, can we generalize this service to support the above
> behavior?
>
> Paul

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry