tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Tapestry Release Names
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:14:47 GMT
I like to say that, five years ago, when I sat down and started building my
Tapestry prototype, I made about 10 critical architectural descions, and got
about eight of them right. The ones I missed on, perhaps because I was
following the WebObjects programming model too closely, are related to the
Java classes Tapestry developers write.

In hindsight, it is obvious that those classes should be POJOs, but that's
the kind of thinking I've grown into in the last five years. Additionally,
there should have been a more direct mapping from page name or component
name, to page/component class and from there to the page/component
specification and template. The fact that a single class could be used for
multiple pages/components has turned out to get in the way.

The 3.0, Picasso (4.0) and Magritte (5.0) releases are a stepwise
progression towards fixing this key aspect of Tapestry.

3.0's abtract properties were a step in the right direction, but not nearly
far enough. I wonder, if I had not been working on the book, whether I would
have had the time to have gotten that right then? In some ways, I needed to
wait for HiveMind to be able to build a sufficiently sophisticated
infrastructure to support the goals of Magritte.

Tapestry Picasso is still transition, but is introducing the idea that the
important details of a page or component are injected into it from HiveMind.
It also gets component parameters very, very right (i.e., much more
efficient, and no direction). This kind of thinking sets the stage for
Tapestry Magritte. Also, the Portlet support in Picasso is very important
for Tapestry's future success.

Tapestry Magritte will get away from inheritance from base classes and away
from abstract classes. The POJO classes you write will be peers, plugged
into the page/component hierarchy. There are a couple of possible approaches
to this; I tend to favor a "heavy" route centered around runtime
modification of page and component peer classes as they are loaded. Erik
favors a lighter approach, where the classes start and stay as POJOs. In
either cases, JDK 1.5 annotations will take primary stage, and the XML files
will be sidelined or eliminated entirely.