tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Mind Bridge <mindbridge...@yahoo.com>
Subject Deferred listeners -- backward incompatibility
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:47:58 GMT
Hi,

I am finding out that deferring listeners is rather backward
incompatible -- a lot of the code that I am looking at is assuming that
the form is rewinding at the time of the listener invocation and
additional parameters to the Submits are needed to make things work
again. This is particularly true for components located in loops. What's
even worse -- the code may render okay, but generate an exception only
when a button/link is pressed.

In general, the combination listener/defer is slightly problematic, as
the context of the 'listener' parameter gets changed depending on the
value of 'defer'.

I would suggest the submit components instead to have two listener
parameters -- 'listener', as it is works now, and 'action' which is
deferred. If the deferred approach is needed, then 'action' is used instead:

<a jwcid="@Submit" action="handleSubmit">....</a>

This approach is fully backward compatible, and it is shorter as well.

Do you think it makes sense?

-mb