tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Longman <glong...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Regular beta releases?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:53:43 GMT
What is jakarta's position on nightly builds? Does a nightly build
need to be formally released? If not, just do nightly builds and pick
one each week for the "beta". End users can decide on thier own which
ones to use and I think that's ok as long as they are clear that a
nightly build is not a release and they choose to use it at thier own
risk.

That  presumes that the build is easy enough to automate and that
there is a mechanism for distributing such builds easily. And of
course the Jakarta way allows this.

Geoff

On 9/2/05, Danny Angus <Danny_Angus@slc.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> our evaluation, this is important to us as it helps us to manage risk.
> I attended Brian McCallisters excellent talk on the subject at
> ApacheConEU[1] and agree with everything he said, in particular the points
> about evaluating a project's maturity in addition to the product's maturity
> based upon, amongst other things, published release schedules/milestone
> dates, status files, plans and changelogs.
>
> We want to evaluate the risk associated with adopting or upgrading any open
> source components in our systems. Having reached and published a formal
> decision to release betas weekly is one more positive indication of
> maturity. Whether or not you manage to comply with the policy is another
> item which can be considered in an evaluation.
>
> Have a vote on it, make it a policy, do it.
>
> d.
>
> [1] http://chariotsolutions.com/slides/apachecon_managing_oss.pdf

> |         |           Erik Hatcher     |
> |         |           <erik@ehatchersol|
> |         |           utions.com>      |
> |         |           02/09/2005 10:56 |
> |         |           "Tapestry        |
> |         |           development"     |
>   >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
                                             |
>   |       To:       "Tapestry development" <tapestry-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
                                                   |
>   |       cc:
                                             |
>   |       Subject:  Re: [DISCUSS] Regular beta releases?
                                             |
>   >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

> You're all too formal with this, Howard :)
>
> Just keep releasing it - no one would complain!
>
>      Erik
>

> On Sep 1, 2005, at 5:03 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > So ... its' looking like people like this idea which is fine with me.
> > BUT we're in somewhat uncharted territory here.  Should I start a
> > formal vote for this process?
> >
> > On 9/1/05, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm quite willing to crank out a new beta release every weekend for
> >> the next few weeks ... but running a vote for each one is time
> >> consuming and boring. How about a general vote to release on a weekly
> >> basis until we vote for an RC candidate?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >> Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> >> Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> >> Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
> >>
> >> Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> >> and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com
> >>

> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> > Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> > Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
> >
> > Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> > and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com

> The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only.
If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended
reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limit
>  ed.
>
> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of
computer viruses.

The Spindle guy.           http://spindle.sf.net
Get help with Spindle:
Announcement Feed: