tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Regular beta releases?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:26:37 GMT

As one of loyal your "customers" and though we wouldn't complain about
weekly betas just happening, please consider this...

We are in the process of defining a formal procedure for evaluating the
open source software which our systems depend upon and formally documenting
our evaluation, this is important to us as it helps us to manage risk.
I attended Brian McCallisters excellent talk on the subject at
ApacheConEU[1] and agree with everything he said, in particular the points
about evaluating a project's maturity in addition to the product's maturity
based upon, amongst other things, published release schedules/milestone
dates, status files, plans and changelogs.

We want to evaluate the risk associated with adopting or upgrading any open
source components in our systems. Having reached and published a formal
decision to release betas weekly is one more positive indication of
maturity. Whether or not you manage to comply with the policy is another
item which can be considered in an evaluation.

Have a vote on it, make it a policy, do it.

d.

[1] http://chariotsolutions.com/slides/apachecon_managing_oss.pdf

|         |           Erik Hatcher     |
|         |           <erik@ehatchersol|
|         |           utions.com>      |
|         |           02/09/2005 10:56 |
|         |           "Tapestry        |
|         |           development"     |

  |       To:       "Tapestry development" <tapestry-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
                                              |
  |       cc:
                                        |
  |       Subject:  Re: [DISCUSS] Regular beta releases?

You're all too formal with this, Howard :)

Just keep releasing it - no one would complain!

     Erik

On Sep 1, 2005, at 5:03 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> So ... its' looking like people like this idea which is fine with me.
> BUT we're in somewhat uncharted territory here.  Should I start a
> formal vote for this process?
>
> On 9/1/05, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm quite willing to crank out a new beta release every weekend for
>> the next few weeks ... but running a vote for each one is time
>> consuming and boring. How about a general vote to release on a weekly
>> basis until we vote for an RC candidate?
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>> Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
>> Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
>> Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
>>
>> Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
>> and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com
>>

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
> Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limit
 ed.

viruses.