tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-tapestry Wiki] Update of "SuccessStories" by abulhaaris
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:55:18 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-tapestry Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by abulhaaris:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/SuccessStories

  -- Henri Dupre

+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - other version:''' ----
+
  == Seafax.com ==

  The site for [http://www.seafax.com] was developed using Oracle, Cayenne, and Tapestry 3
in 2005. It was converted from an older WebObjects 4.5 implementation and we were very happy
with the conversion to open-source Java platforms.  Tapestry and Cayenne were similar in concept
to WebObjects (making the learning curve minimal for us) but better implemented... easier
to develop, maintain and debug, faster and more portable.
@@ -220, +222 @@

  -- Bryan Lewis

+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - your version:''' ----
+
+ == www.ArabianDreams.ae ==
+
+ Arabian Dreams is real estate company based in Dubai, U.A.E. It wanted a web site to allow
customers to be able
+ to search properties for rent and for purchase. The usual criteria: price or rent range,
location, number of
+ bedrooms, view, were to be provided to narrow down the searches. Behind the scenes, Arabian
Dreams wanted a web-based administrative interface that would allow its agents to add, modify
and delete property listings, manage
+ landlords' and owners' profiles, generate various reports, generate rental and sale contracts
as PDF files and
+ a number of other utility functions. I had used Tapestry and Hibernate in a number of prototype
projects when
+ I worked for a Lahore, Pakistan-based software company. The company had been relying on
JSP/EJB/J2EE frameworks
+ and the higher management were always apprehensive about new technologies, especially, open
source. The project
+ was not as high-profiled as some of the other projects the company was working on. I decided
to take on the
+ project and use Tapestry and Hibernate. The business logic was not complex; most of the
web pages in the
+ application were straight forward - get the data based on certain criterion and display
it, get user input
+ in a form and persist it. Hibernate made the persistent part easy while Tapestry made the
web-page management
+ a breeze.
+
+ The project took about 5 months to develop and deploy. The web site "www.arabiandreams.ae"
is hosted at webhosting
+ service in Canada. The environment is Taperstry 3.0.3, Hibernate 2.1.6, MySQL 4.1 and Tomcat
5.
+
+ The one feature of Tapestry that I found invaluable was the ability to work in HTML designing
tools like
+ Frontpage and Dreamweaver in designing and editing HTML pages with jwcid tags. I had a graphics
designer check
+ out HTML pages with embedded jwcid tags from CVS repository, make necessary changes and
commit the changes. Never had the graphics designer done something similar in other projects
she had worked on, i.e., the HTML file the developer and the designer work with are the same.
+
+ My thanks to Howard for designing a framework that has made web development convenient and
enjoyable.
+
+ -- Sohail Aslam
+