tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <leona...@dtqsoftware.com>
Subject Re: PageRedirectException in pageBeginRender or pageAttached
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:02:01 GMT
Ron Piterman wrote:
> I am also often pissed off with how tapestry is handeling the comunity,
> but you should remember that if you want to add a class (like the
> patch you sent) it is not neceserily a bug, its a wish, and wishes
> are... how should i say it... well, free? This "patch" you posted -
> there is no problem of placing it in your classpath and using it, you
> *don't* need tapestry to have it in the codebase to use it, and its
> not a bug which prevents you going on...
Of course. That's what I'm doing. Now, I usually only put 'wishes' I
think are good for the community as a whole. So, my reasons to include
them on the Tapestry codebase:

1) Someone could benefit from them. As a note: It's nice to have Tassel,
but it's usually better to have 2 o3 large component libraries -
Tapestry Base, Contrib, Tacos - than hundreds of small components. Why?
Because when they are on one big library they're usually better handled,
maintained, etc.

2) I could benefit from modifications to it. That's the idea of Open
Source, right? I give something, and I can expect people to review it,
put improvements, etc. If you check on the patch, I said it's just a
basic implementation.

> now about real bugs - like Jesse said its open source, but I guess he
> forogt something important and that is - you don't need the tapestry
> team in order to apply your patches :
>
> Fix the bug,
> create a patch,
> apply the patch,
> build tapestry,
> bug is gone,
> post the patch to jira.
Yes, but the patch never gets included.

As for patching the code myself, that's a fork. If I'm going to do a
fork, then I'd better do it large. If not, maintaining my modified
codebase with the other Tapestry updates is a nightmare. Several people
on the open source community have talked about it. It's always better to
*insist* that your patches go to the main code base, instead of patching
yourself the code.

Now, I did patch the code. But it's a last resort solution. I'd rather
have those bugs fixed on the main code base.
> If you don't do it this way, and complain that bugs are not being
> fixed, well... a part from open source is interaction with the community.
>
> Some people understand "interaction" as "I submit a bug and you fix
> it" - may be, and then again, may be not...
I'm not saying that. Now I do understand it as "I don't know the code as
well as you. I'm submitting a bug with all detail I could possibly
gather, and I hope you can fix it in 1 hour, instead of the 8 hours it
would take me".

--
Ing. Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi
Director T├ęcnico