tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Sándor <develo...@erinors.com>
Subject Re: Damn it! Tapestry Subversion screwed up!
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:59:56 GMT
I have similar experiences with subclipse.
Sometimes only a complete checkout can repair the local workspace...

Norbi

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Longman" <glongman@gmail.com>
To: "Tapestry development" <tapestry-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: Damn it! Tapestry Subversion screwed up!

I'm not impressed with subclipse at all. The more time goes by with a
checkout the more stupic crap I have to deal with. And it has nothing
to do woth merging as I gave up on that a long time ago (problems like
Howards).

A couple of the things that make me burn...

Somebody else deletes a file then commits. I update, the file is gone.
But forevermore whenever I sync subclipse wants to delete the non
existant file! Doesn't happen every time but as time goes by I start
having to "remove from view" more and more things every time I sync
until eventually I have to start from a fresh checkout.

Two times now I've committed into svn (to say rev 10) and then later
done an update. All of a sudden the files that should be rev 10 are
now rev 7. The first time I didn't notice for a few hours and there
was no way to merge those few hours worth of changes (had to fall back
to copy/paste after a replace with -> latest from repository). And
dumbest thing was while subclise was screwed and reported rev 7 I
actually has rev 10 code! ARGHHGH!

So now my productivity is falling as I don't trust subclipse to not
fuck up my workspace. I have to check by hand that the revs in my
workspace are the right revs.

G.

On 1/12/06, Jesse Kuhnert <jkuhnert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Truth be told I was so scared about the merging stuff with subversion +
> tapestry I actually sat down and read the chapter on it. It still hasn't
> saved me from the once or twice incident where something screwy happened
> with a directory, like forgetting that subversion supports symbolic links
> or
> something. ...hehe
>
> On 1/11/06, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Something was screwed up in Eclipse; I thought I was committing
> > changes to trunk (i.e. 4.1) but instead, I ended up committing all
> > over the 4.0 branch.  I'm not sure how I managed this. My project
> > folder is connected to trunk, but my sub-folders are connected to the
> > 4.0 branch.
> >
> > Now I have to do a god-awful merge from the 4.0 branch back into trunk
> > and try again.
> >
> > We're probably going to have to rebuild a new  4.0 branch to account
> > for this ... we should be able to do so off of  tag/release-4.0.
> >
> > I would suggest that nobody checks in ANYTHING until I straighten this
> > out.
> >
> > M*therF*cker!
> >
> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> > Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> > Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
> >
> > Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> > and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com

The Spindle guy.          http://spindle.sf.net
Get help with Spindle: