tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Longman <glong...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: eclipse like rcp extensions?
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:35:49 GMT
Well, HM has contribution points already and they mirror Eclipse
extension points/extensions to a degree.

There's no reason why Shell couldn't use a contribution point to
discover things like stylesheets to include.

The trick would be to choose an implementation that is intuitive and
easy to use.

Define the mechanism end users would use to indicate something should
be contributed to the shell. Preferably in a way that does not require
the user to add thier own contribution in HM. Then create a default
contribution that knows how to handle that mechanism. I don't know
that that mechanism is as I'm not clear on what you are trying to
achieve. its a topic for discussion

Convention over Customization (as the rails people would say).

That way you have an easy way and the hard way. The easy way is to use
the convention (default contribution). The hard way is to invent your
own custom handler and wire it into the HM contribution point. Good
for weird custom cases.

That way everybody's happy.

Make sense?

Geoff